Application Requirements and Process
The application deadline for all applications including international students, assistantships, fellowships, or tuition waivers consideration is January 15. Funding is subject to availability. For additional information, please review the Department FAQs page.
IMPORTANT! When prompted, use the following Department of Communication codes — PhD: 20FS9953PHD, MA: 20FS1113MA.
After completing the “online graduate application,” you will receive in three-to-five days an email acknowledging receipt of your application and instructing you to log back into your application to upload other application documents. For additional information about the application process and the uploading of documents, please visit the Document Upload Page.
Note: The Rating Form and Application for Graduate Appointment are part of the application process. Both are available below for uploading.
Because the Office of Admissions & Records (OAR) processes tens of thousands of applications each year, please upload the following documents as early as you can:
- GRE scores (use Code 1851).
- TOEFL scores, if applicable (use Code 1851).
- Transcripts (upload only) – DO NOT mail hard copies to Communication.
- Personal Statement (600 words).
- Résumé (1–2 pages).
- Writing sample (M.A. recommended, Ph.D. required).
MA thesis or sustained writing sample, see FAQs for guidelines.
- Three letters of recommendation, each with an accompanying.
(M.A. – preferably two from professors; Ph.D. – preferably from professors.)
- Application for Graduate Appointment for assistantship/fellowship consideration (optional but strongly recommended). See the instructions for this form.